It’s time for the yearly Baker’s dozen of my favorite (foodie) things!
- Some really great pastry books were released in 2012. I’m reading The Elements of Dessert by Francisco Migoya and Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery cookbook. To round out the must-have list I ordered Layers by Gregoire Michaud ($20-$50 each)
- As dessert plating becomes more and more exacting, a good set of plating tweezers goes a long way. There are several styles to suit any cook. ($10)
- I’m asking Santa for fine star piping tips so I can perfect my eclairs. ($20)
- A Cotton Candy Machine is not only fun for the whole family but adds an element of whimsy to any dessert. ($35-$400)
- A vegetable turning slicer creates perfect sheets of fruits and vegetables. ($50-200)
- A hand-held infrared thermometer allows me to temper chocolate with ease. ($20)
- A raplette makes it a piece of cake to create consistently-measured batters. ($100)
- Every chef needs a good-quality apron. My personal favorite is from Cayson Designs in blue denim. ($20)
- Good shoes can’t be overrated. Danksos keep your feet cool, dry, and slip-free. ($120)
- Every year, I go through several Moleskine notebooks as I jot down recipes, conversions, and ideas.
- Sharpies are a must in any kitchen. The Retractable Ultra Fine Point Permanent Markers are perfect for labeling items in the walk-in. ($2 each)
- Matfer exoglass cookie cutters are the creme de la creme for home bakers and professionals alike because they are seamless, lightweight, and sturdy. ($50)
- A quality Pastry Brush with Natural Boar Bristles that doesn’t shed or fray is worth every penny. Get several sizes for the patissier in your life. ($8)
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above may be “affiliate links,” meaning that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I have not been otherwise endorsed to recommend these products, all of which I use personally. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”