Don’t you wish you were at the beach right now, sipping a frosty drink? If an island vacation isn’t in the cards, recreate that relaxed, tropical feel with sweet and tangy pineapple. Combine the flavors of fresh roasted pineapple with toasted coconut, and you have a tart sure to please any pina colada lover. Kick back, relax, and enjoy!
Toasted Coconut Pastry Cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Start by toasting your coconut pieces to a fairly dark shade.
- Separately, heat the coconut milk until hot.
- Remove from heat and steep the toasted coconut pieces in the milk.
- Cover the sauce pot and let sit at least an hour to infuse the flavor.
- After it has infused, strain the liquid into a new container and remeasure and replace the milk to have a full two cups.
- Heat again over medium heat.
- Separately whisk the yolks, sugar, and cornstarch together.
- Once the milk is hot, temper it into the yolk mixture and ensure everything is well dissolved.
- Return to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and smells sweet.
- Remove from heat and strain into a new container.
- Place plastic wrap directly against the cream and chill completely.
- Once completely chilled, fill the prepared tart shell and allow to set firm again.
- Top with a deliciously roasted pineapple, andy garnish, and serve.
- Roasting the pineapple adds extra smoke and butter elements to this dessert, and really brings out the yellow vibrancy of the fruit.
Joe the Baker https://www.joe-the-baker.com/