With one of the quintessential grilling holidays underway, sometimes dessert is an afterthought. This summer, keep it simple with classic American pound cake. I’ve cut the portions for this recipe… so I’m calling it the Half-Pound cake!
- 226 grams butter, soft
- 175 grams sugar
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 230 grams whole eggs
- 160 grams all purpose flour
- 60 grams cake flour
- 3 grams baking powder
- 4 grams salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- Compound syrup for brushing (optional)
- Cream together the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs and blend until homogenous.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure even mixing.
- Separately, sift together the remaining ingredients.
- Add these to the bowl and mix just until incorporated.
- Bake in a loaf pan at 375F until the top crust is firm.
- Cut a single slash through the top layer with a sharp knife then finish baking until a skewer inserted in the middle returns clean.
- Allow to cool briefly in the pan, then remove. T
- o keep the cake super moist, brush with a compound syrup while it's still warm and cover the entire cake.
- Allow to cool completely before use.
Joe the Baker https://www.joe-the-baker.com/
I love how customizable this cake is. Add any extra flavorings along the way to make it your own, or sear just before serving for a more adventurous take. A portion of pound cake is the perfect base for colorful summer fruits, mild cheeses, or whipped toppings.